Seonaid Mackenzie founded Sturgeon Ventures – the pioneering Regulatory Incubator since 1998
Seonaid Mackenzie, has had a 31 year career in the City, having been a stockbroker, fund manager, as well as operating UK funds, and fund raising for private companies and funds, and sat as a non-exec in financial services or SMEs over this time. Seonaid founded Sturgeon Ventures LLP as a “single family office” in 1998 investing in public and private companies. The Principal died in 2004, leaving behind a trust for a child. Those funds today are passively managed, and so Sturgeon, took a new active business line and became the pioneer coining the phrase the regulatory incubator for financial services starting in the year 2000, known by some as an Regulatory Umbrella Service, or Regulatory Hosting Platform. In 2013, Sturgeon Ventures became an Investment Advisor with the SEC, and in 2014 an AIFM (Alternative Investment Fund Manager) and Operator of Collective Investment Schemes and AIFM Solutions. Sturgeon Ventures is also a member of AIMA (Alternative Investment Management Association). The firm has ‘incubated over 110+ start ups since this business model began’. The clients include fund managers with various strategies, third party fund raisers, corporate finance firms, family offices, amongst others.
Sturgeon’s team offer regulatory and risk services, within their incubation model and start up mentoring, a virtual Chief Operating service for fund launches, and often assist overseas, especially US firms starting in London. They work with leading law firms, accountancy firms, and most well known compliance firms. Although jurisdiction neutral, Sturgeon have assisted in a number of firms within the last 5 years, setting up funds in Malta. Seonaid is also regulated by the MFSA as an investment manager and sits on a number of investment committees in Malta, as well as being an Investment Manager in Guernsey. Seonaid was on the Strategic Advisory Board of Kleinwort Benson for 2 years.
Sturgeon Ventures LLP has been awarded:
- Best for Regulatory Incubation and Award for Excellence in Compliance by Acquisition International 2015
- Highest Commendation as the Best Overall Advisory Firm by HFM for 2015.
- 2014 UK Business Incubator award at the ACQ Global Awards
- Most Trusted FCA Regulatory Incubator in the UK
- Venture Capitalist of the Year at 2014 M&A Awards
- Shortlisted as Best Overall Advisory Firm to US Hedge Funds by HFM in 2014.
- Compliance Innovator of the year in 2013 by Thompson Reuters.
Seonaid Mackenzie has been:
- Awarded Strathmore’s Who’s Who Industry Leader of the Month February 2015
- Voted by Brummell as one of the top 30 most inspirational female entrepreneurs in financial services in the United Kingdom 2014.
- A finalist in 2012 Women of Achievement in the City won by American Express
- Voted winner of Enterprising Women of 2013 a global award.
Seonaid is a Freeman of London with The Worshipful Company of International Bankers, a member of The Chartered Institute of Securities and Investments, a Member of the Corporate Finance Faculty of the Institute of Chartered Accountants and a Member of the Women’s President Organisation (WPO).
Seonaid has been a guest speaker at several London secondary schools,speaking to 17/18 year olds about a career in financial services and being a female entrepreneur. Focusing on issues such as her predominantly female workforce of working mothers, with flexible hours. She is the Founder of a charitable foundation ‘The Wellness Fund Foundation‘ that focuses on education to parents and teachers on self harm in young persons, and is the angel investor also of Kidtection a childcare agency for tweens and teens. Seonaid has two school aged children and a puggle.
Visit Seonaid’s LinkedIn Profile: